Comments are moderated. Please be patient. It may take some time for your comments to appear.

Monday, February 12, 2007

Tool Height Gauge


After the last post, I thought it might be a good idea to show the tool height gauge in use. Click on the photo at left to enlarge it. As shown, the parting tool is just a little low and in need of another shim. I shamelessly stole this idea from someone's web site. Again, my memory fails me. His was much nicer than mine. It was made out of a nice thick piece of aluminum with a slot milled in it at the proper height. I'll give credit if I ever encounter the other guy's site again.
What's important here is that the height gauge can be made out of almost anything, as long as it tells you, "this is the right height."

2 comments:

Anthony Muscat said...

Hi I have a question not about the tool hight gauge but was hoping you could help with a problem in having with my parting off insert tip tool. It came with a Chinese tool set so it's not the best quality but all the other tools work well but this one. I set it to center height but then when I start parting it will not cut I've tried all different speeds and still it doesn't cut.
So I must lower the tool height almost a 1mm below center height before it will cut but at this height the stock more offen then not ends up trying to climb the tool braking the insert and it doesn't matter how carful I am.
When I use HSS parting tool I have no problem at center height what are your thought ms about this?

Smitty said...

I'm curious as to what sort of tool post/rest you're using, what your HSS tool looks like as well as your insert type tool, and the insert it holds. It would also be helpful to know how you are determining that either tool is positioned at the proper height.