Comments are moderated. Please be patient. It may take some time for your comments to appear.

Saturday, February 24, 2007

So, Here's the Plan...


The plan is to build Workbench Miniatures' Simplex engine from their plans. The plans arrived last Thursday. I received five sheets of plans, and three pages of construction notes, which I think are the better part of this documentation. For someone starting out, being told how you do something is as important as being told what to do. The writer can't stand at your back and look over your shoulder while you work, but his notes are the next best thing. They also cover assembly and run-in instructions for after the engine is finished.
The plans themselves are clear and well executed CAD drawings with thorough dimension information. If you have any experience at all reading mechanical drawings, you should have no problem.
I've spent the last couple of evenings reading over the plans and notes, and discovered I don't have quite all the tools as I need. I also have to collect the required construction materials and hardware. So, it will still be a few days before I can get started.

No comments: