Comments are moderated. Please be patient. It may take some time for your comments to appear.

Tuesday, February 6, 2007

First try


I got my lathe home, set it up, and leveled things.

Prior to purchasing the lathe, I bought a copy of "Machining Fundamentals" by John Walker that was out of print, but still available at Amazon, for cheap. There wasn't anything in there I couldn't do or understand, so I went ahead with the lathe purchase.

I read the book, read the owner's manual that came with the lathe, and decided to try to cut a thread. I used a piece of scrap that used to be part of a ground rod, and ground my own threading tool. Here's what I got.
Yeah, I know, it's a crummy picture, but I got threads, that looked pretty good and held a nut. The thread form is a little off, but I think that's because I didn't have the compound rest set at exactly 29.5 degrees. The scale on my rest is not very accurate, and hard to read. If anybody wants to tell me how to set it, I'm all ears.
The point of all this is that if you buy the book, read the book, and do what it says, the lathe will work.

1 comment:

Mem said...

Ooo. Aaahhh. So you are now in business! Hmmmm.....Let's see what I can come up with that I'd like you to do for me. :-)